Monday, August 13, 2012

So i just got back from a funeral and i felt really out of place the whole time i never knew the man that past away.  but went for my Grandmothers shake, the service was really nice the stories shared were great but the whole time i was thinking about how the past two years there have been a lot of deaths around me. some closer then others but all of the people who have passed away have had affect who i am today. Jesse Parks a great friend of mine (Keeping on Trolling Buddy),  Dr. Kirby a Professor, and Lance Johnson a classmate who pasted away about two weeks ago. they've all kinda added up, but today at John's funeral the Pastor asked the question during the service  that got me thinking. She Asked "what was he known for" people stood up and said their peace and respect for John and then how he ALWAYS made people laugh and that he would ALWAYS go out of his way to make sure others were taking care of. after the service we went to the fellowship hall and had a meal together and more stories were shared about how great John was. about half through the meal my Grandma looked at me dead in the eyes and said if this was your funeral tell two stories, confused a little worried about what Grandma meant, she continued to tell everybody else at the table about when I was in diapers and just learned to talk; she explained that whenever anybody ever asked me a question I would  shrug it off  answer "I can't know" She Giggled to herself and started the next story about when she helped me moved to North Carolina to attend Pfeiffer University my freshman year. she told everyone at the table that I was confident, excited, and happiest she has ever seen me in my life, and that I was even celebrating the unknown of college life.

of course that got me thinking about when she or Papa passes away what would others say about them? What would I say? about the two people who took me and my sister in when we needed them the most. A few minutes later Grandma looked at me again and said "when its all over and done with what do you want to be known for??" pausing for a moment trying to think, I couldn't answer her question. I know she wasn't looking for some deep philosophical answer, but that's where my mind went.

Even now a few hours later Im still trying to wrap my brain around her hard hitting question. maybe its because I'm young or maybe because I tend think in circles but so far I've only come up with Three things I want to be known for

1) Loyal Friend
2) Loving Deeply
3) Passionate about Theology and Justice

I guess the next phase in life is living out those things

No comments:

Post a Comment